I can't speak arabic. But I try shamelessly. I think back on Ecuador and remember how afraid I was to speak, and I laugh. I don't know how a conservative muslim state made me more outgoing and confident. I think it's probably because you can't be a perfectionist here and retain sanity, so I gave up trying. Arabic is to dense to swallow in sizable bites. It's like trying to eat a stick (not that I ever have). Eventually you can get through it with much perseverance, mouth pain, a few explanations to bystanders who wonder why you are eating a stick, and hella splinters. The other day I proclaimed to a bag-boy at Safeway that "mish 3ndi shanta" which literally translates to "not I have purse" when I meant "I don't want a bag." Normally I would beat myself up about that but I just continued on my way. Recently, I acquired the words "Debahbeh" which means "tank" and "hafartarieh" which means "vulgar". These compliment the words that I remember from my time spent banging my head against "al Kitab" the arabic text book starring Maha, the depressed New York resident. These words include "al aloom aseeyaseeya" political science, "hashashan" assassin, "izdeham" overcrowding, and "rootooba" humidity.
I can't speak english. But I try shamelessly. I speak a compination of english, spanish, arabic, and "meh" which is Anne for "Anne language". This involves events where I declared "bidi Gubble bum." (I want bubble gum." Luckily, SMiller speaks Anne by now.
...I'm turning 21 in a week. I feel like I'm 16. hmmm
Other fun Anne vocab words:
A "shwayker" is a shway quaker, which means a quaker that breaks the rules sometimes.
Okay enough procrastinating, 20 more pages to write before I'm freeeeee!
Allah yuwafee! Good luck to me.
I can't speak english. But I try shamelessly. I speak a compination of english, spanish, arabic, and "meh" which is Anne for "Anne language". This involves events where I declared "bidi Gubble bum." (I want bubble gum." Luckily, SMiller speaks Anne by now.
...I'm turning 21 in a week. I feel like I'm 16. hmmm
Other fun Anne vocab words:
A "shwayker" is a shway quaker, which means a quaker that breaks the rules sometimes.
Okay enough procrastinating, 20 more pages to write before I'm freeeeee!
Allah yuwafee! Good luck to me.
I am confused, did you give up sanity or being a perfectionist?
ReplyDelete