Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ization in this Nation


Peers, colleagues, dear friends and family,
I have been asked by many what my research topic is for the gigasmic paper due in May.  The answer is not short, and the thesis is not easily explainable, which has been the source of much strife, food stress, light homesickness, regular non-food-related stress, and several quasi-breakdowns.  Yes, I once again have broken off more than I can chew and swallow and digest (however that saying goes).
This is how I explained my topic in my proposal:
“Westoxification” is a word coined by Muslim zealots who view Western influence as a threat to Islam.  Westoxification includes influences from Western consumerism, economic and social globalization, the dominance of Western culture, and religious pluralism.  I hypothesize that the new generation of young Jordanians on a whole perceive that Western culture is not a threat to Islam, but rather a catalyst of positive change in the modern practice of Islam.

This is how I explained my topic to my peers:

My topic is about western influence on Generation Y's adherence to Islam as a way of life.
so basically I am answering the question "is the west westoxifying islam?"  I hypothesize that Islam can coexist with globalization/westernizaton/westoxificaiton/mcdonaldization/americanization and all IZATION IN THIS NATION.

Instead of beginning my ISP (independent study project), I chose to write Haikus in order to 1) warm up for a 40 page paper, 2) procrastinate said paper and 3) win a 25 dollar gift certificate to Barnes and Noble...
My car has turned white
Curse this absurd bird herd turd
Baltimore Ravens

You mean that char mar
Is not a legit display
of real food prices?

Lexington Market
A diverse microcosm
Of America

Hair salon, gun shop,
Fried chicken joint, Goodwill, church…
Mapquest loves North Ave.
 
Network untrusted
Would you still like to join it?
JHU Guestnet

The SIT Tribe all began to use twitter so the following were written in the full spirit of the program:




Ran into a tree
with “Allah” shaved into it
#JOstruggles

The dumpster meows
I contemplate feeding it
#OnlySadnessJO

I might have killed
One hundred Middle Schoolers
#MarathonStruggles

Is that arab man
Honestly smoking a cig?
#JOmarathonFail

Half a banana
For half of a marathon
#ShukranJazeelan

This week I will be conducting several interviews of professionals in the realm of Islam, and I am hosting 3 focus groups of my Jordanian peers to find out what they think.  It is exciting and intimidating, and I will survive.

On another note, I went to see the Professional Jordanian Women's national soccer team take on Germany's number one club team Munchen Bayern.  It was an enlightening and entertaining experience.  Apparently Munchen is doing a diversity "yay women's teams in the Middle East" tour.  I was glad to see that Germany didn't play down to Jordan's level.  It was a very respectful game. The white team (JO national team) had a woman (numbah 9) who played in a hijab and full spandex so that only her hands and face were showing.  I didn't think this was possible but she was a coordinated and speedy player.  Above the field, a handsome portrait of King Abdullah cheering overlooked the stadium.  He wore number 99, which Biff and I realized is the year he entered office and the year his father King Hussein died.

On a third and final note different from above notes...some of us went to Madaba for a day to celebrate two birthdays. We nom nom'd at a restaurant called Haret Jdoudna, literally the best food I have had in Amman.  Lentil soup, a white cheese salad, and stuffed mushrooms with MORE CHEESE on top.  I highly recommend it.
Ian and Biff's Bday- Madaba


Downtown Madaba

Time to procrastinate procrastinating by doing work.

1 comment: