I am married. I am from Canada, Toronto to be specific. I am 25 and no, I don't have any kids.
These were my responses to the cab driver's questions yesterday morning. I am not used to sitting in the back of the cab. In Ecuador, I made a point to sit in the front and be social and civil. Dorothy, we are not in Ecuador anymore.
At first I felt like Bond, Anne Bond, with a contrived identity and a face of such cool indifference that I almost believed myself.
Oh Canada, you have been of great use to me on my travels abroad. However today, when a Professor of History at the University of Jordan was giving us a lecture, I did not feel like Double "0" anything. I realized that my convenient instant-Canadian citizenship suggests that I am embarrassed to be American. Am I ashamed to be American?
What is being American? Does being American automatically mean that the country's foreign policy, governmental structure, and opinions reflect your own personal opinions? Osama Bin Laden seems to think so. In an interview in 2001, he proclaims jihad against all Americans in response to the application of American foreign policy in the Middle East. He states that because the people elect their government, they are equally responsible for its policies and decisions, after all isn't that what democracy is? A collaborative effort and an expression of popular opinion on an administrative scale? There is no doubt that many Arabs agree with Bin Laden and make the same assumption.
"I am American" can be translated into...
"I support a sovereign Israeli state that should preside over the entirety of the biblical definition of the boundaries of 'Palestine'."
"I am ignorant to the social norms of any culture but my own."
"I am rich, materialistic and pretentious."
"I am "easy" sexually and an alcoholic."
"I can't dance." (The only one of these that is remotely true)
"I think America should continue policing the world at it wishes."
"I eat fast food and candy for every meal."
"I want your petrol and your monetary investments."
"I hate Islam."
"I only speak English."
"I worship a Cosmopolitan lifestyle."
"I watch a lot of TV."
Mulan on the American mentality: "You think you own whatever land you stand on [...] you think the only people are people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of a stranger....you'll learn things you never knew you never knew."
"I am Canadian" can be translated into...
"Ay?!!"
"What's a camel? So then a moose with humps you say? ...You RIDE moose?"
"Foreign policy? Is this another strange desert animal?"
"I came here because it is warm"
and "I like Maple syrup and large amounts of falling water."
but really, the only thing anyone has to say in response to you exposing your Canadian citizenship is "is it really cold up there?"
NAM! (that means yes)
So the real question I asked myself today is as follows: "Are the Jordanian people educated enough to know that being American, white and female doesn't mean that I fit the profile prescribed by desparate housewives and Jackass 2 (examples of what my host family watches on TV)?" The lecturer today insisted that "We do not like your government but we Jordanians love the American people." In my bitter skepticism, I am inclined to disagree. The Snake on the plane greatly effected my mindset on this matter. I don't trust many Jordanians to discount the above generalizations and stereotypes about my culture. But didn't I just make a generalization as well? I have been indoctrinated that it is a good thing to give all people the benefit of the doubt. And I truly believe that. However, letting down my wall of bitterness means exposing myself to more of what happened on the plane, a risk that I am not yet willing to take. Most people I have come across have been incredibly considerate, unselfish, and helpful. An example of this is Deema, our Homestay adviser. I asked her to be my independent study adviser because she has a degree in law and is a religious Muslim woman who wears the hijab. She was flattered. Today she arranged for me to meet her friend in Abdoun circle on Thursday to discuss religion and any other interests. He is Egyptian, and after the events in his country, he has moved to Amman in search of employment. My gratefulness can not be expressed. Also, a fellow student pointed out that Jordanians are more inclined to help you with directions on the streets of Amman than most Americans are on the streets of New York. They are innately good people, just like the Baltimoreans that returned my cell phone on two occasions this past semester. I hope to soon be comfortable in this city. Inshallah (God willing), I will not be wrong.
For now, I am the dauntless Canadian in the North Face jacket, the Panama hat, and blueblockers. I'm going for discretion. Watch out, Al Urdon.
-Al Hob
These were my responses to the cab driver's questions yesterday morning. I am not used to sitting in the back of the cab. In Ecuador, I made a point to sit in the front and be social and civil. Dorothy, we are not in Ecuador anymore.
At first I felt like Bond, Anne Bond, with a contrived identity and a face of such cool indifference that I almost believed myself.
Oh Canada, you have been of great use to me on my travels abroad. However today, when a Professor of History at the University of Jordan was giving us a lecture, I did not feel like Double "0" anything. I realized that my convenient instant-Canadian citizenship suggests that I am embarrassed to be American. Am I ashamed to be American?
What is being American? Does being American automatically mean that the country's foreign policy, governmental structure, and opinions reflect your own personal opinions? Osama Bin Laden seems to think so. In an interview in 2001, he proclaims jihad against all Americans in response to the application of American foreign policy in the Middle East. He states that because the people elect their government, they are equally responsible for its policies and decisions, after all isn't that what democracy is? A collaborative effort and an expression of popular opinion on an administrative scale? There is no doubt that many Arabs agree with Bin Laden and make the same assumption.
"I am American" can be translated into...
"I support a sovereign Israeli state that should preside over the entirety of the biblical definition of the boundaries of 'Palestine'."
"I am ignorant to the social norms of any culture but my own."
"I am rich, materialistic and pretentious."
"I am "easy" sexually and an alcoholic."
"I can't dance." (The only one of these that is remotely true)
"I think America should continue policing the world at it wishes."
"I eat fast food and candy for every meal."
"I want your petrol and your monetary investments."
"I hate Islam."
"I only speak English."
"I worship a Cosmopolitan lifestyle."
"I watch a lot of TV."
Mulan on the American mentality: "You think you own whatever land you stand on [...] you think the only people are people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of a stranger....you'll learn things you never knew you never knew."
"I am Canadian" can be translated into...
"Ay?!!"
"What's a camel? So then a moose with humps you say? ...You RIDE moose?"
"Foreign policy? Is this another strange desert animal?"
"I came here because it is warm"
and "I like Maple syrup and large amounts of falling water."
but really, the only thing anyone has to say in response to you exposing your Canadian citizenship is "is it really cold up there?"
NAM! (that means yes)
So the real question I asked myself today is as follows: "Are the Jordanian people educated enough to know that being American, white and female doesn't mean that I fit the profile prescribed by desparate housewives and Jackass 2 (examples of what my host family watches on TV)?" The lecturer today insisted that "We do not like your government but we Jordanians love the American people." In my bitter skepticism, I am inclined to disagree. The Snake on the plane greatly effected my mindset on this matter. I don't trust many Jordanians to discount the above generalizations and stereotypes about my culture. But didn't I just make a generalization as well? I have been indoctrinated that it is a good thing to give all people the benefit of the doubt. And I truly believe that. However, letting down my wall of bitterness means exposing myself to more of what happened on the plane, a risk that I am not yet willing to take. Most people I have come across have been incredibly considerate, unselfish, and helpful. An example of this is Deema, our Homestay adviser. I asked her to be my independent study adviser because she has a degree in law and is a religious Muslim woman who wears the hijab. She was flattered. Today she arranged for me to meet her friend in Abdoun circle on Thursday to discuss religion and any other interests. He is Egyptian, and after the events in his country, he has moved to Amman in search of employment. My gratefulness can not be expressed. Also, a fellow student pointed out that Jordanians are more inclined to help you with directions on the streets of Amman than most Americans are on the streets of New York. They are innately good people, just like the Baltimoreans that returned my cell phone on two occasions this past semester. I hope to soon be comfortable in this city. Inshallah (God willing), I will not be wrong.
For now, I am the dauntless Canadian in the North Face jacket, the Panama hat, and blueblockers. I'm going for discretion. Watch out, Al Urdon.
-Al Hob
On two occasions?
ReplyDeleteWe are proud of your quest for understanding and answers. Right now, you are getting unrelated bits of data, which may seem confusing and contradictory. One day your mind will sort through them and they will all make sense. Until then you are cursed to travel to a thousand dead ends.
You can do it! I'm so sorry you had that experience on the plane, but like you said, give it some time and I have no doubt the Jordanians will convince you that the majority of them are nothing like that snake on the plane. And I really did find that being American wasn't a disadvantage to me; most people were receptive to me and they were impressed that I was getting out into the world and trying to understand their culture.
ReplyDeleteI am reading all your posts and am insanely jealous of you right now; your house is in such a good location and you get to be exploring AMMAN! Relish it, other Hob. In due time, you'll begin to see the amazing hospitality of the Jordanians.
Still reading your posts and still getting a kick out of them.
ReplyDeleteYesterday I wrote a 2 page, singe spaced, autobiography (of myself) for a writing class and found myself composing something of a general demographic of all white, middle class American's. And I quote, "frankly, I look boring on paper". North Face, aviator wearing white girl. Booo.