Why not Morocco? Or Oman? Or any of those other countries that I hinted I might go to?
1) Jordan has cleaner Arabic. It is closer to modern standard Arabic than Morocco or Oman or even Egypt.
2) It is a secular state. Not only does this imply stable government but it suggests a safer learning environment.
3) I am interested to see how I personally react to hot topics of debate in the U.S. like the wearing of the Hijab and the condescending way that Men act to Women. I have a whim to try wearing a head scarf to detract from the inevitable attention my clothes and complexion will draw.
4) If I can prove to myself that I can navigate the Middle East, I am confident that I can navigate other countries.
5) A break from aMERica and the Hopkins comfort zone.
6) Hummas and Hookah.
7) The culture of shame and guilt that is built into Jordanians in concurrence with their religious beliefes (90% are Muslims)
8) Jordan is the melting pot of the Middle East. Because of its location and history of peace, Amman is home to Saudis, Iraqis, Palestinians, Syrians and Egyptians.
9) To understand the "rest versus the West" and Huntington's political theory on the clash of civilizations. Is modernization inevitable? I modernization necessarily a good thing as our culture would have us believe.
10) To discover the source of conflict in the larger region and understand the role that religion plays in it.
11) To become a more tolerant, malleable and forgiving person in a cultural and linguistic sense.
12) To learn by trial and error and brute force (experiential education!!??)
13) To confront pre-formed biases and stereotypes about Arab culture and people.
14) To ride a camel.
1) Jordan has cleaner Arabic. It is closer to modern standard Arabic than Morocco or Oman or even Egypt.
2) It is a secular state. Not only does this imply stable government but it suggests a safer learning environment.
3) I am interested to see how I personally react to hot topics of debate in the U.S. like the wearing of the Hijab and the condescending way that Men act to Women. I have a whim to try wearing a head scarf to detract from the inevitable attention my clothes and complexion will draw.
4) If I can prove to myself that I can navigate the Middle East, I am confident that I can navigate other countries.
5) A break from aMERica and the Hopkins comfort zone.
6) Hummas and Hookah.
7) The culture of shame and guilt that is built into Jordanians in concurrence with their religious beliefes (90% are Muslims)
8) Jordan is the melting pot of the Middle East. Because of its location and history of peace, Amman is home to Saudis, Iraqis, Palestinians, Syrians and Egyptians.
9) To understand the "rest versus the West" and Huntington's political theory on the clash of civilizations. Is modernization inevitable? I modernization necessarily a good thing as our culture would have us believe.
10) To discover the source of conflict in the larger region and understand the role that religion plays in it.
11) To become a more tolerant, malleable and forgiving person in a cultural and linguistic sense.
12) To learn by trial and error and brute force (experiential education!!??)
13) To confront pre-formed biases and stereotypes about Arab culture and people.
14) To ride a camel.
Hookah?
ReplyDeleteI still have the pretty red hookah from my wedding. We have a bunch of head shops here that carry all sorts of flavors too.
ReplyDeleteI think your trip is going to be awesome! I can't wait to read more :-)